Wordfest Webmaster / Designer Summer Internship
This position provides an excellent opportunity for a student to work with industry professionals, build their portfolio, be creative and gain experience in Canada’s arts and culture sector. The Webmaster must be flexible, proactive, detail-oriented and comfortable in a fast-paced environment.
Working with the Communications Coordinator and Wordfest Youth Manager, the Webmaster will:
- • Manage, develop and update all author and event information for the Festival’s website
- • Design and produce print pieces for Wordfest and the Wordfest Youth Program, including brochures, event handbills, posters, teacher resource guides, memorabilia and other materials as needed
- • Design e-marketing materials, including flyers, invitations and e-blasts
- • Design online ads for digital media platforms as required
- • Ensure consistency with Wordfest branding and style guide requirements
The Webmaster will also assist the Communications Coordinator and Festival’s design agency with the creation of new campaign creative to coincide with the celebration of Wordfest’s 20th anniversary in October 2015. Depending on the skills and interests of the successful candidate, the Webmaster may also support other projects and initiatives such as the creation of digital content, development of rich media and back-end database management, as needed.
Who should apply?
Due to public funding criteria established for this opportunity, this position is available only to students returning to school in the fall semester and who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada. Applicant must be a full-time student during the 2014-2015 academic year, and must intend to return to school on a full-time basis in 2015-2016.
University or college student in one of the following areas: marketing communications, visual design, communication design, fine arts or multimedia with a concentration in website design.
- • Ability to think creatively and communicate effectively
- • Ability to juggle multiple projects and prioritize workload
- • Strong organizational skills
- • Excellent proofreading skills and attention to detail
- • Flexibility and willingness to jump in
- • Ability to independently problem solve and troubleshoot
- • Works well in a team environment
- • Interest in arts and culture
- • Advanced knowledge or proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, specifically InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- • Advance knowledge of HTML5 / CSS. Knowledge of PHP, Java and other scripts an asset
- • Knowledge of content management systems an asset (WordPress)
- • Familiarity with Google Analytics, SEO and W3C best practices
- • Understanding of latest trends in visual communication, web design and social media
- • Basic understanding of Database Management
- • Experience with online blogging tools
- • Copy-editing and proofreading experience an asset
Supervision: This position is under the direct supervision of the Communications Coordinator. The Webmaster receives ongoing training, feedback and performance reviews.
Contract term: May 1 to August 28, 2014 (subject to change)* Salary: $14 /hr @ 40 hours / week.
*Possibility of part time work in the months of September and October 2014.
Submit a cover letter and resume no later than Monday, April 20, 2015, in PDF format via email to Everett Wilson, Wordfest Communications Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that this position is contingent upon funding and available only to students returning to school in the fall semester. Applicant must be a full-time student during the 2014-2015 academic year, and must intend to return to school on a full-time basis in 2015-2016.
The 20th annual Wordfest runs from October 13 to 18, 2015, and brings over 75 writers from around the world in contact with 15,000 readers. Wordfest is an equal opportunity employer.